Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Foul Celebrity

I have to acknowledge that the 'Guardian' is the only newspaper with any sort of perspective today (or tomorrow - Thursday). It is the only paper, apparently, not to put the Big Brother story on its front page, focusing instead on the possibility of a vast hike in university tuition fees. I have written briefly about the BB stuff on the myspace blog, but suffice it to observe here that it appears to have had an impact on Gordon Brown's visit to India, as well as being raised in an interview with David Cameron (he simply advised peope to switch off, which struck me as one of the more sensible comments). I loathe the programme and the majority of its banal, egoistic participants, but it has, I suppose, exposed the reality of casual working class white racism in a very public way today. I wonder if, as a society, we are mature enough to deal with that?

No comments:

The retreat of liberalism goes on

As communism seemingly disappeared from view at the end of the 1980s, in a sudden and unexpected blow-out, there was plenty of triumphal...